Friday, January 18, 2008

The Best Match Ever?

Man, am I ever glad I have a TV on my desk at work. Did anyone else catch that Roddick-Kohlschreiber match this morning? Amazing. I thought Cliff Drysdale was going to bust a nut right there in the broadcast booth, he was so geeked up about this match. He actually said it might have been the best match he'd ever seen. And that dude's seen some tennis. Kohlschreiber pulled off the massive upset (I think he was like +400) but I really wish he hadn't because the notoriety from this match will ruin the value you might have gotten on this guy in the future. From what I saw today, he's the real deal. Some of the shots he pulled off were abousolutely insane. And he's got an arsenal. Forehand, backhand, slice, dropshots, good service game ... no weakness I could see. Remember the name. He could beat anyone on the tour if he continues playing at that level.

Roddick also gets the award for meltdown of the day. He complained to the umpire that some German fans were heckling him during his serve, but the umpire said he didn't hear anything. That's when Roddick went all McEnroe and started calling the guy every name in the book. He got a couple of zingers in, saying at one point, "I guess you have to be a second grade dropout to be an umpire." Surprisingly, it didn't seem to throw Rowdy Roddy off his game. He kept booming ace after ace, but against a flawless Kohlschreiber, it wasn't enough to win the match. I don't know if he was really mad at the umpire or he was just frustrated that he couldn't shake off the young German. I'm sure Kohlschreiber will be driving plenty of other players for a long time.

No comments: