Saturday, January 19, 2008

Come On? Are you serious?


This has got to be among the stranger legal issues I've heard of lately.


As I was watching the Hewitt-Baghdatis match this morning, I thought I heard the commentator (I don't remember who it was, Fowler maybe?) mention that Lleyton Hewitt had gotten a legal trademark on the phrase "Come on".


Can you really do that? Trademark an expression? Is he gonna start demanding royalties from other players who use it on the court?


So I looked it up and the whole thing is totally confusing. It all revolves around that funny victory salute that Hewitt likes to do when he sorta points at his face with his hand and yells, "come on!" Apparently some old Swedish player claims to have invented it and says he already has a trademark on it, but Hewitt stole it for his new clothing line (which sounds like it's going to be even more lame than the Yonnex gear he wears now).


Anyway, the whole convoluted story is explained here, if you're interested. The logo for Hewitt's clothing line is posted top right.


No comments: